Coarsely chopped pecans or peanuts
Apples (We love Royal Gala for this recipe)
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Divide nuts equally into 6 piles on waxed paper; set aside.
- Wash and dry apples completely. Insert a clean craft stick or popsicle stick into stem of each apple.
- Stir caramels and water in a small saucepan over very low heat until caramels are melted.
- Dip each apple into caramel, spooning caramel over apple to cover completely. Let excess drip back into saucepan.
- Immediately roll apples in nuts to lightly coat, pressing nuts lightly with fingers. Place apples stick-side up on prepared baking sheet.
- Heat chocolate chips and shortening over low heat in a small saucepan, stirring until melted.
- Spoon chocolate over each apple and let it drizzle down sides.
- Let apples stand until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Serve or store loosely covered in refrigerator up to 3 days.