Savory Onion and Apple Tart
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 2 medium apples, cored and thinly sliced (about 3 cups), divided
- 2 medium apples, cored and thinly sliced (about 3 cups), divided 1
- 13.8-ounce can refrigerated pizza dough* (or homemade)
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dry thyme
Preheat oven to 425 F.
In large, nonstick skillet, over medium−low heat, heat oil. Add onions and half of the apples; cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and begin to caramelize, about 25 minutes (mixture will appear to “melt” and become spreadable).
Meanwhile, coat baking sheet with non−stick spray. Press dough into rectangle on baking sheet. Prick dough all over with fork tines to prevent bubbling. Bake until lightly brown, about 10 minutes; remove from oven.
Spread apple−onion mixture over dough; sprinkle with cheese. Just before serving, top with thyme and remaining sliced apples; broil on high until apples begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Cut into squares and serve.
Recipe courtesy of U.S. Apple Association