Apple and Brussels Sprout Soup
- 2 lbs. peeled/cored/quartered tart apples
- 1 lb. cleaned/julienned yellow onions
- 1 lb. shredded Brussels sprouts
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 sprig picked/minced thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
Caramelize onions in soup pot. Deglaze the pot with enough stock to cover the bottom of the pan. Scrape and stir with the pot over a moderate-high heat to reduce residues into the liquid
Add the remaining stock, apples, Brussels sprouts, cider and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 30-45 minutes.
Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend to desired texture. Or ladle soup into a standard blender and puree, being careful to not splatter the hot liquid. Return to the pot. Salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe courtesy of U.S. Apple Association