Here are some tips from America’s potato farmers on how to store and prepare potatoes at home:
Storage & Handling of Fresh Potatoes
- Do not refrigerate or freeze fresh potatoes before cooking.
- Store in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place, avoiding high temperatures such as below sinks or next to appliances.
- Be sure air can reach your potatoes. Either store loose or in plastic or paper bags with holes.
- Don’t wash potatoes before storing as dampness will lead to early spoilage.
- Check potatoes regularly and remove any that show signs of spoilage, as this will spread to the others.
- If potatoes begin to sprout, you can still cook them. Just remove the sprout and cut away any green areas.
- Of course, you can also use sprouted potatoes as a fun kid activity by placing them in a container of water with the sprouts in the air and watching them grow.
- Potatoes can be baked, boiled, roasted, mashed, fried, air fried (here is a chance to use that new appliance from the holidays), microwaved and grilled.
- Here are some of the favorite ways to prepare potatoes:
1. Baked potato in the oven or microwave
2. Au gratin, which sounds complicated but is simply thinly sliced potatoes baked with some cream, salt and pepper
3. Roasted by cutting into pieces and tossing with oil, salt and pepper or dried herbs and putting in the oven
4. Mashed, because is anything more satisfying and simpler than cutting up potatoes, boiling them in water until soft, adding milk, butter, salt and pepper and smashing?
- Don’t forget that many dishes, such as potato salad, can be made ahead and enjoyed later provided they are stored in the refrigerator.
- Leftovers can easily be transformed into new dishes; mashed potatoes can become potato pancakes and baked wedges from dinner can be mixed in a scramble with eggs the next morning.
- Source: www.eatwisconsinpotatoes.com/tips-for-purchasing-storing-and-cooking-potatoes
Sunrise has a wide variety of potatoes! Potatoes are delicious, easy to prepare, versatile, filling and are high in vitamins.
- Sunrise Medley: 24 oz bag Multi-colorful (red, yellow, purple) potatoes
- Gold Fingerling: 24 oz bag
- King’s Best: 15 lb. Medium Potato
- Coach Brand: 50 lb. bag: Medium Potatoes
- Jumbo Bakers: Supersized potatoes in a 15 lb. bag
- Sweet Potatoes: 3lb tote size bag of large sweet potatoes
🍎Stop into Sunrise Orchards for a large selection of apples, donuts, cider, cheese, meats, specialty foods, gifts and fun! Taste the freshness!
How do you know when your favorite apples are in stock? www.SunriseApples.com/content/apple-availability. When planning a trip to the orchard for specific variety of apples, it's always best to call (608-735-4645) us ahead of time to make sure they're available.
There's something for everyone at Sunrise Orchards! We look forward to seeing you soon!
Online Store open 24/7, 365 DAYS!
Gift Certificates Available + Apple Gift Boxes
OPEN DAILY FOR 2021:
AUG 16 - OCT: 9 AM - 5 PM ~ NOV - DEC 22: 9 AM - 4 PM ~ DEC 23: 9 AM - NOON ~ (Closed Thanksgiving)
Senior Shopping: 8am - 9am DAILY
Online Store open 24/7 - 365 Days!
48340 State Hwy 171
Gays Mills, WI 54631